Speak It Out

Work is my commitment. Learning is my passion. Faith is my strength. Love is my life.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Manila, Philippines

The name Ardythe:good war (Anglo-saxon); flowering field (Hebrew); spiritual prosperity (Swedish); Norwegian goddess.

Thursday, December 16, 2004

First

Today is the start of the dawn masses also known as midnight mass, misa de gallo, misa de aguinaldo, simbang gabi. On the contrary, I think the bell boy forgot that he had to ring the bell at 3:30 am. I was already awake before that time and the bells were only rung at past 4. I was not late but the church wa already filled 5 minutes before 4:30.

Archbishop Gaudencio Rosales was the main celebrator of the first mass. He told a story: There was a blind vendor whose items in a bilao was turned over by a hurrying man. On top of this, other people stepped on his goods, not taking notice what they are treading upon. Then later a man approached him and picked up the items and even paid for them. The blind vendor asked him, "Are you the Christ?" Why is it that calamities have to befall us before we help each other (referring to the fact that 4 succeeding typhoons devastated the country)? Why not everyday, we practice being a Christian?

2 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

hwow! 16th ang start ng simbang gabi sa inyo? i hate being "ultra-conservative" catholic here, but you're mistaken if the "first" simbang gabi is celebrated at 4am of the 16th... on the contrary, first masses of simbang gabi is celebrated at 8pm of the 15th, kaya nga SIMBANG GABI, hinde SIMBANG MADALING-ARAW. nasa article ko yan ngayon, that's the practice of the traditional catholics here in the diocese, especially the chinese community of San Pablo. :)

December 16, 2004 2:48 PM  
Blogger Ardythe Santos said...

Yeah I know. But people still refer to it as simbang gabi. I think we have to stick to misa de gallo or dawn masses.

December 17, 2004 1:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home