Speak It Out

Work is my commitment. Learning is my passion. Faith is my strength. Love is my life.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Manila, Philippines

The name Ardythe:good war (Anglo-saxon); flowering field (Hebrew); spiritual prosperity (Swedish); Norwegian goddess.

Thursday, February 17, 2005

Saying them right

Everyday can turn out to be an irritating moment if I hear someone I know or do not know and speaks these ways:

Eight o one (8:01)- Puhleeze. Please. It is said as "eight one". We only use "o" if it is by the hour, like "eight o' clock" which means eighth hour of the clock. The same applies for all hours and the minutes from one to nine.

Feb- can they say February instead? I hear this even on TV. It sounds so agitating that I can almost throw the book on my sister's head if she says it that way. As for my other sister...

Nov-For Pete's sake, it is November! How about September, October, November, December. Aug?

Wed-Wednesday. Just imagine saying Friday as a monosyllabic word! Sat is also a no-no.

So next time I hear you, don't be offended if I butt in. Try to use English properly.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

hi!are you an english techer?hehehe..you sounds like my english techer,sir deriada...you're awesome..(:
good day..

March 04, 2005 3:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

teacher i mean...sorry po,tao lang..

March 04, 2005 3:15 PM  
Blogger Ardythe Santos said...

No I am not. I have flaws sometimes too. Ü

March 06, 2005 5:34 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

sorry to nitpick, but I don't agree that the "o" in "eight o one" is the same "o" in eight o clock, as you're trying say. I think the right explanation to say when correcting someone about this(if you really really feel the need to...)is it's zero, and not an "o"...

March 08, 2005 3:25 AM  
Blogger Ardythe Santos said...

You don't get it. What I meant was that we should not use "o" in stating the minutes between one to nine. Like just say seven seven...

March 08, 2005 2:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home